Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sweet'n Sour Oatmeal Fruit Squares

This recipe is based on a recipe by Canada Living. I've modified it so can call it my own now though. I made it for an outing with my family to the UBC Botanical Gardens for my brother's birthday. We met first and then planned for a late lunch so I knew we'd all be happy for a little treat. I'm also in the midst of packing so was keen to clear out my cupboard of a few half empty bags of dried fruit. The fruit is sweet but the lemon gives it a nice tart flavour, hence the name.
Ingredients
Bottom/Top
3 cups oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup honey (runny- I heated mine lightly and used dark clover honey)
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup softened butter

Filling
1 1/4 cup sliced apricots
1 1/4 cup dates
3/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cups hot water

Directions

  • Combine ingredients for filling in sauce pan and let sit for 30 minutes.
  • Combine ingredients for the "Bottom/Top" oat mix
  • Boil filling in saucepan then let simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed and it makes a thick chunky sauce
  • Pat a little more than half the dry "Bottom/Top" oat mix in a greased 8x8 square cake pan
  • Pour the filling on top and top with the remainder of the "Bottom/Top" oat mix
  • Bake at 350 degree oven for 40 minutes
  • Let stand until cool
  • Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment